KLIMA MEDAL NOMINATIONS SOUGHT
ESTABLISHED IN HONOR OF LATE ARS PRESIDENT EMERITUS JOE KLIMA AND HIS WIFE MARION, THE KLIMA MEDAL RECOGNIZES EXCELLENCE IN THE FIELD OF ROSE EDUCATION. Nominees for the award need not be members of the ARS, and nominations are requested from both ARS members and the international horticultural community. The Prizes & Awards Committee will select Klima Award recipients. Acts worthy of recognition include:
• Sustained volunteer performance by an individual over a decade or more of providing measurable high quality educational instruction and/or publication in the area of rose education.
• A single act of achievement by an individual within the field of rose education or rose development that has a measurable profound or major global impact.
• A significant single act of scientific development by an individual or team that provides a major advancement to the knowledge and evolutionary educational base of growing roses.
• Sustained lifetime achievement by an individual in devoting and focusing their educational talents and expertise to promoting “The Rose.”
No member of the Prizes & Awards Committee or members of their immediate family shall be considered for the award while serving on the Committee. Also, the President of the American Rose Society shall not be eligible for the Klima Medal award until one full year after their term of office has expired.
The ARS Executive Director, PO Box 30000, Shreveport LA 71130-0030; Email: executivedirector[at]rose[dot]org must receive all materials for the Klima nominations by September 30, 2016.
GUY BLAKE HEDRICK JR. AWARD
GUY BLAKE HEDRICK JR. AWARD
ESTABLISHED IN MEMORY OF GUY BLAKE HEDRICK, JR. TO RECOGNIZE OUTSTANDING ROSE EXHIBITORS who display the highest levels of excellence, integrity and respect for the ideals of showing roses, the Guy Blake Hedrick Jr. Award is intended as a lifelong achievement award for an exhibitor who has been a successful national, district and local exhibitor, and also a model in sharing his/her knowledge in growing championship roses. Nominees for the award shall be members of the ARS, and nominations may be made by any person. The ARS Horticultural Exhibitors’ Committee will select the Blake Hedrick Award recipient. Acts worthy of this recognition include:
• Sustained success in showing roses at the national, district and local levels for a decade or longer by an individual or team who has consistently exhibited rose show entries of the highest caliber with integrity and spirit for the ideals of the ARS.
• Sustained lifetime achievement by an individual in devoting and focusing his or her educational talents and expertise to promoting the art of exhibition of the rose.
• Significant and sustained acts of achievement by an individual in organizing and overseeing the conduct of successful rose shows at all levels.
Hedrick Award nominations are due by December 31, 2016. Hedrick Award nominations may be sent to the Executive Director, PO Box 30000, Shreveport LA 71130-0030; Email: executivedirector[at]rose[dot]org and the Horticultural Exhibitors’ Committee Chair, Bob Martin, 3291 Old Oak Tree Lane, Escondido CA 92026-8416; Email: petrose[at]aol[dot]com.
To nominate an individual or team for any of these awards, primary sponsors should complete a nomination form, attaching the required supporting documentation (including two Award Reference Forms). These forms are available online or from Carol Spiers at ARS Headquarters, 318-938-5402, ext. 223, or e-mail carol[at]rose[dot]org. Prior nominees must submit new applications; re-submissions of previous applications will not be accepted.
WHITAKER NOMINATIONS SOUGHT
ESTABLISHED IN HONOR OF GLENDA WHITAKER; an ARS member and leader whose excellent example and efforts on behalf of the society and its members have been an inspiration to all who have worked on behalf of the Society in the area of membership. It is created to recognize those who have made outstanding and unique contributions to the Society in its efforts to grow in members. This award is intended to be given for outstanding achievement by an individual, team, society, district or business which has been a helpful partner with the American Rose Society. Nominees must be ARS members. Members of the ARS Membership Committee are not eligible. Acts worthy of recognition include:
• A program, event or publication by an individual, team, society, district or business which encouraged or prompted an increase in membership, or improved the status or satisfaction of members.
• Sustained dedication and leadership over a period of time by an individual, team, society, district or business in the area of membership development, recruitment, and/or attention to the needs and satisfaction of members.
• Dedication to the Society’s goals in membership in the form of a one-time donation or sustained support.
The Award shall be two-part, consisting of the Glenda Whitaker Annual Certificate of Achievement and the Glenda Whitaker Triennial Award for Achievement in Membership.
Whitaker award entries should be sent to the Executive Director, PO Box 30000, Shreveport LA 71130-0030; Email: executivedirector[at]rose[dot]org and Ann Gibson, Chair, Membership Committee, 8203 Pembroke Dr., Manlius NY 13104-2217; Email: ambushe[at]yahoo[dot]com by December 31, 2016.